Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Kitchen: Chicken Quinoa "Fried Rice"


While I enjoy cooking, preparing food for lunches during the week can be tiring - especially on days when I return from clinic late in the day. I usually opt to cook a decent portion of food on Sunday or early in the week that can carry me through the week for brown bag lunches. I've made quinoa fried rice a number of times and like how easy it is, how tasty it is, and how it can changed around with different ingredients. Last time when I made it I used shrimp and snow peas, but this week I chose chicken for protein and added broccoli instead. Here's my recipe for this dish. 

Ingredients: 1 cup uncooked quinoa; 4 ounces chopped raw chicken; salt and pepper; 2 tablespoons vegetable oil; ¼ cup chopped baby carrots; 1 chopped bell pepper; 2 teaspoons grated ginger, 1 sliced garlic clove; 2 cups chopped broccoli; 1 beaten egg; 2 diced green onions; 2 tablespoons soy sauce. 

Do: Cook quinoa in 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Salt to taste. Season prepped chicken with salt and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown about 2 minutes each side. Set chicken aside on a plate. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a medium saucepan and add carrots and bell pepper. Cook until softens for about 2 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, and broccoli and continue to cook for about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer quinoa to the empty skillet and stir in beaten egg and cook until distributed. Stir in chicken, veggies, green onions, and soy sauce and cook for another minute. 


All that's left is for you to grab your chopstick and dive right in! Or your fork, that works too. 



Enjoy!! 
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment