Friday, May 31, 2013

Scene: Piccolo Desserts Launch Party

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of attending the Launch Party for Piccolo Desserts, a new catering company started by my friend Abeer Najjar. While delighting in scrumptious shooters and cake truffles, swaying to on point tunes, and taking in the glam fashion of the evening, my fellow guests and I chatted with Abeer about her business.  

Q: How did you decide on the name "Piccolo Desserts?"
A: I went through a few names at first, but they were all really arbitrary. One of my friends noticed that I wasn't so crazy about them and asked me what I really wanted and I said "piccolo." It means "small in Italian," but also I played the piccolo when I was in orchestra when I was young. The piccolo is like the tiny but mighty instrument. It's loud, it's high toned and reaches octaves that other instruments cannot. It gave me a metaphor to what my desserts are. They're small, but super flavorful!

Q: When did you start selling?
A: I officially started taking orders around Mother's Day. It was a soft launch, but now my menu is finalized.

Q: What are the different desserts options?
A: For the dessert shooters, there are 12 different ones. There are fun flavors like peanut butter cup and more classic ones like tiramisu. There are 5 flavors for the cake truffles. They're mostly out of the box, except for red velvet and chocolate. We have carrot cake, we're working on a dulce de leche with sea salt, and have a birthday cake. We do chocolate covered strawberries too. They're a classic that people love and we elevate them by only using Ghiradelli chocolate. 

The dessert shooters come as a dozen ranging from $24 to $30. Chocolate covered strawberries come in boxes of 16 starting at $25. Strawberries with customizable toppings are $35. Cake truffles come 16 in a box for $32. Currently, the desserts are being sold locally in the Chicago area and suburbs, but business may expand in the future. 

The handmade desserts are made with quality wholesome ingredients, which is evident in how yummy each treat is. I happily tasted and devoured each of the goodies Abeer prepared for her guests. I love how the dessert options are less obvious and have a novelty about them. For one thing, I can't remember the last time that I've delighted in dessert shooter. My favorite indulgence of the evening? The Tres Leches dessert shooters! 



Tres Leches Dessert Shooters


Red Velvet Cake Truffles + Berries 


Key Lime Pie Dessert Shooters


Birthday Cake + Classic Cheesecake Dessert Shooters


Carrot Cake Cake Truffles


Yummy Business Cards 


Perfect Party Refreshers

2 comments:

  1. Great desserts, what i love most is the Tres Leches Dessert Shooters.

    ReplyDelete